Director of Development
San Diego Opera
- CATEGORY Development
- LOCATION San Diego, CA
- DATE SEPTEMBER 14, 2018
- JOB TYPE Full Time
- COMPENSATION Commensurate with Experience and Qualifications
- POSITION LEVEL Senior (5+ yrs exp)
Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, the Director of Development (Exempt) is responsible for the structure and management of the development function as well as managing a portfolio of donors. The position serves as a key member of the team and is critical to the overall fundraising success of San Diego Opera.
Management of Department Operations 35%
- Develops, administers and monitors the department's annual budget and monthly projections.
- Develops, maintains and communicates guidelines and procedures to support the functions of the department. Recommends ideas and opportunities for quality improvement.
- Works closely with the Chief Development Officer on the development and tracking of fundraising goals and strategies. Runs reports for the Board of Directors and staffs the Development Committee.
- Responsible for effective human resource management within the department including organizational planning and development, communication and performance management. Oversees positions of Special Events Director, Annual Fund Manager and Associate Director, Institutional Grants. Working with Marketing and Development Operations Director and the Director of Audience and Donor Relations, oversees the delivery of membership and major gift campaigns and processes.
- Manages donor recognition activities.
- Actively participates in key board committees and assists with all events and department activities as necessary.
Overall Management of Development Campaigns 25%
- Closely monitors and tracks cash and revenue projections using Tessitura and finance reports.
- Prepares short- and long-term plans and timelines for strategies related to building giving and membership programs.
- Oversees the patron circle and annual fund programs to ensure revenue projections are met.
- Works closely with the Director of Audience and Donor Relations and Individual Giving Officers to establish and oversee fulfillment of all membership activity, including membership retention, acquisition, stewardship and events.
- Manages the membership and annual fund publications, including the annual report. Coordinates with the key development and marketing personnel on topic selection and copywriting for print and e-mail newsletters and website.
- Oversees timely acknowledgment correspondence to members and donors. Personally reviews, signs and personalizes when appropriate, correspondence to donors and members.
Management of Patrons and Leadership Giving program 40%
- Identifies and solicits members for the Patrons and Leadership Circles programs; upgrades current donors/members and identifies new prospects.
- Works closely with the Chief Development Officer to identify prospects and develop moves strategies.
- Develops, writes, and oversees communications, including stewardship pieces, acquisition and renewal packages, invitations, website text, acknowledgements, etc.
- Develops and oversees all cultivation and stewardship activities.
- Manages a portfolio of donors.
- Undergraduate degree and 7-10 years fundraising experience.
- Microsoft Office Suite and ease with databases is essential; working knowledge of Tessitura is desired.
- Must be able to work flexible hours, including evening, weekend and holiday hours as well as irregular hours on production and event days.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- Strong organizational skills with a great attention to detail.
- Able to prioritize tasks and balance multiple priorities and projects simultaneously.
- Understanding of the arts community and arts funding desired.
- Affinity for opera/music/theater/performing arts a plus.
Please email cover letter & resume to Jobs@sdopera.org.
- How much does it cost to post a job? Each job listing is $60 for 6 weeks. That's it. If you want to post it for 12-weeks it's just $60 more. No packages to confuse you or long-term commitments to buy into.
- How do I pay for my listing? You can use Visa, MasterCard or American Express. We take both credit and debit cards.
- Can I upload a standard application form? Yes! See the Upload a File button at the bottom of the form.
- If I have a promo code for a free listing do I still have to fill in my credit card information? Nope. Just enter the promo code and click "apply".