- CATEGORY Production
- LOCATION Naples, FL
- DATE NOVEMBER 21, 2022
- JOB TYPE Full Time
- COMPENSATION $15-$18/hour
- POSITION LEVEL Entry (up to 3 yrs exp)
Gulfshore Playhouse, one of the nation’s finest regional theatres, located in Naples, FL, is seeking is seeking an adaptable, good-natured, and efficient individual to serve as the Properties Artisan.
Gulfshore Playhouse offers a diverse season of straight plays and small musicals ranging from venerated classics and Broadway hits to contemporary works and world premieres. The Playhouse is passionately committed to producing high-quality, professional theatre that exceeds the expectations of the cultured residents and visitors of Naples, FL, many of whom are regular theatre patrons in New York, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, and Washington, D.C.
Gulfshore Playhouse has performed for many years in an intimate 200-seat venue at the Norris Center, a municipal building run by the City of Naples. The Playhouse is in the final phases of a $66M capital campaign and has broken ground on the Baker Theatre and Education Center, a state-of-the-art facility, featuring a 368-seat mainstage with a Broadway-sized stage, a 125-seat flexible space, rehearsal studios, classrooms, and rental space. This is an extraordinarily exciting time for the Playhouse, which is experiencing unprecedented growth, and the Props Artisan will have the opportunity to participate in everything from production to special events.
Status: Full-time, annual position
Start Date: January 2023
Job Duties include but are not limited to:
- Assist Props Supervisor in achieving all production goals throughout the season by building, creating, painting, pulling, and sewing all props, furniture, and set dressing in a timely manner as assigned.
- Work with Props Supervisor to coordinate all purchases, rentals, and borrows necessary for the realization of the production.
- Maintain excellent communication with stage management, production staff, and artistic team throughout the production process.
- Check daily stage manager rehearsal and performance reports for notes concerning props, furniture or set dressing pieces that need to be procured, repaired or replaced.
- Follow through with completion of daily notes as assigned by Props Supervisor
- Assist Props Supervisor with the supervision and training of interns and any additional labor brought into the prop shop.
- Adhere to all safety protocols at all times.
- Assist Props Supervisor with maintaining prop stock and storage organization.
- Attend all necessary meetings including, but not limited to, production meetings and company meetings.
- Assist the Technical Director and Assistant Technical Director in construction, load-in, and strike of scenic elements.
- Provide support for special events.
Employee will be expected to work extended hours on occasion when necessary to meet goals. Some weekend and evening hours are required including attendance at some performances, special events, and/or meetings that may happen outside normal hours. We acknowledge there are great candidates who may not have all of the qualifications listed below, but possess intuitive knowledge or other fully transferable skills.
- One to two years experience in the field
- Background in props areas such as crafts, electronics, furniture, digital design, sculpture, sewing, etc.
- Supplemental knowledge of scenic paint, carpentry, and upholstery experience a plus.
The ideal candidate is a strong, honest, team-spirited self-starter who is excited to join a tireless, rapidly-growing, and attitude-forward regional theatre. Candidates should be friendly, excellent with patrons, staff, and visiting actors alike, and possess excellent communication and organizational skills. Gulfshore Playhouse values hard work, kindness, generosity, passion, and grace-under-pressure.
Our Charter: https://www.gulfshoreplayhouse.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Charter.pdf
Pay rate: $15-$18 per hour, non-exempt, overtime after 40 hrs.
Benefits include Paid Time Off; Health, Dental, Vision plans; 403b retirement plan.
Gulfshore Playhouse is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse staff; we strongly encourage people from underrepresented groups and diverse backgrounds to apply.
Please send a portfolio or examples of work, resume, cover letter, and references to Ray Inkel, Director of Production, at email@example.com.