- CATEGORY Development
- LOCATION Laguna Beach, CA
- DATE NOVEMBER 16, 2023
- JOB TYPE Full Time
- COMPENSATION 67000
- POSITION LEVEL Mid (3-6 yrs exp)
THE LAGUNA PLAYHOUSE – Development Manager
Reports to: Director of Advancement
Position Status: Full time, Exempt
Benefits: Medical & Dental (Shared Expense); 401K; Paid Vacation & Sick Leave; Paid Holidays
Application: Cover letter must accompany resume submission
About Us: Laguna Playhouse, a nationally acclaimed, non-profit, LORT C professional theatre located steps away from the Pacific Ocean in the charming arts colony of Laguna Beach, CA seeks a full-time Development Manager. Working closely with the Ticketing and Finance Departments and reporting to the Director of Advancement, the Development Manager will be responsible for supporting the agency’s development, community relations, and outreach efforts.
About the Position: The Development Manager is responsible for supporting the planning and implementation of a strong and proactive major gift program that reflects the mission and priorities of Laguna Playhouse; developing and maintaining a portfolio of major individual gift prospects; management of Tessitura, the organization’s donor database; implementing special events; and managing multiple aspects of individual, foundation, and corporate partner relationships.
About the Culture: The person most successful in this position will be a well-organized, detail-oriented individual dedicated to helping take the development function of a vibrant and growing non-profit theater to the next level. The right candidate will thrive in this warm, welcoming, and creative atmosphere that embraces individuality and is artistically fulfilling, forward- thinking and dog friendly!
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will bring creativity and enthusiasm for helping Laguna Playhouse build and sustain relationships with donors and audience members.
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal skills.
- Self-motivated, detail oriented, work effectively both within a team and in self-directed situations.
- Must maintain positive personal relationships in a broad range of situations.
- Able to work under pressure; meet tight deadlines and funding goals; maintain a calm, professional work style.
- Competency with computers, Microsoft Office Suite, and social media is a must.
- Experience working with the Tessitura database strongly preferred.
- The ability to work flexible hours including weekends and evenings from the office.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Proactive problem-solving skills.
- Exceptional communication skills and meticulous attention to details.
- Ability to build credibility and relationships with donors and prospective donors.
- Implement and manage on-going donor stewardship with current and potential donors.
- Manage organizational plan to identify, recruit, cultivate, and renew individual and corporate donors.
- Plan and implement membership appeals and other donor communications.
- Conduct data entry for incoming donations in donor database, Tessitura, and acknowledge all gifts within two business days.
- Organize and maintain donor records, including biographical information and giving histories, in digital archives and Tessitura database, and ensure that documentation reflects donor intent and sets expectations for recognition and stewardship.
- Use data analytics to identify potential donors, cultivate relationships, and support stewardship.
- Build year-round and long-term strategies for the company’s fundraising efforts in collaboration with the Director of Development and Deputy Director of Development, Institutional Giving and Events including:
- Generate monthly revenue projections.
- Manage the year-round donor messaging and stewardship calendar that complements the company’s programming and annual solicitation efforts.
- Manage opening nights, annual gala, and other special events aimed at cultivating relationships with current donors, as well as engaging new donors.
- Routinely sell tickets, arrange special ticket requests, and process exchanges for trustees and high-level donors.
- Coordinate monthly gift reconciliation.
- Compile and proof the donor list for programs, other donor recognition collateral, and website.
- Work with the Marketing department to coordinate marketing and development communication and create and execute online solicitations in WordFly.
- Work occasional evening and weekends to assist with fundraising events.
- Provide general support for the Director Advancement with administrative duties and projects as directed.
- All other duties as assigned.
- This position involves sitting, standing, twisting, turning, and lifting up to 25 lbs during special event setup.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to Human Resources under the heading:
Development Manager Position Application.
Cover letter must accompany resume submission.