- CATEGORY Community Engagement
- LOCATION Philadelphia, PA
- DATE SEPTEMBER 30, 2019
- JOB TYPE Part Time
- COMPENSATION not stated
- POSITION LEVEL Consultant/Freelance
The Barnes Foundation is seeking two part-time hourly Community Connectors to join our Community Engagement team.
The part-time Community Connector will work with our Community Engagement Team and be part of the Virtual Reality (VR) Experience Project.
The Community Connectors:
- facilitate VR goggle experiences at community partner locations, and then connect their community group through field trips, leading on-site tours, and guiding authentic experience at the Barnes Foundation.
- take responsibility to engage their community groups, and ensure a broader understanding of visiting museums, the Barnes and its collection and ways of looking at art. Fostering long-term engagement and inquiry-based learning,
- will serve as liaisons by introducing new pathways between new community audiences and the Barnes. Community Connectors will facilitate interactive conversations that promote visual literacy and discovery.
We’re committed to diversity and equal opportunity in our recruitment and hiring. Highly qualified candidates of all backgrounds are welcome and encouraged to apply for this position.
Established in 1922 as an educational institution, the Barnes Foundation carries out its mission by promoting appreciation of the arts and horticultural science, through the preservation, presentation, and interpretation of the collections of Albert C. and Laura L. Barnes. Celebrated for its exceptional breadth, depth, and quality, the Barnes Foundation’s art collection includes works by some of the greatest European and American masters of impressionism, post-impressionist, and early modern art, as well as African sculpture, Pennsylvania German decorative arts, Native American textiles, metalwork, and more. The Barnes Foundation engages diverse audiences through its exceptional collections and high-quality programs that reflect a broad range of periods and cultures and build on the founders’ innovative educational vision of transforming lives through the arts and horticulture.
- Facilitate user experience with VR goggles and guide user’s art observations at community partner sites in Philadelphia.
- Increase and foster deeper engagement and access to the Barnes Foundation.
- Adapt participant engagement to reach diverse audiences of varying age, background, and knowledge levels.
- Conduct inquiry-based gallery visits during participant field trips at the Barnes Foundation.
- Ability to work with students of a variety of ages (school age, adults and seniors).
- Support Project Coordinator with implementation and setup needs.
- Foster a positive, professional, and collaborative attitude for community engagement.
- BA in Education, Art History, Art Education, Studio Art, related field or experience preferred.
- Outstanding people skills—service, relations and communication.
- Teaching experience in community, youth and family settings in museums, community-based agencies or schools.
- Ability to work across diverse groups.
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus.
- Strong interest in community partnerships and arts as a pathway for equity and social justice.
- Flexibility, creativity, dependability, and punctuality.
- Successful clearance of background criminal check and fingerprinting.
Competitive Benefits include:
- Parking and transit flexible spending accounts;
- 403(b) with matching contributions;
- Employee Assistance Program; as well as paid sick time.
Please include a cover letter and an updated resume with your application.
The Barnes Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we’re committed to diversity and equal opportunity in our recruitment and hiring. Qualified candidates of all backgrounds are welcome and encouraged to apply for this position. Employees have rights under other laws including, but not limited to, the Family and Medical Leave Act and the Employee Polygraph Protection Act. We participate in E-Verify.
- How much does it cost to post a job? Each job listing is $60 for 6 weeks. That's it. If you want to post it for 12-weeks it's just $60 more. No packages to confuse you or long-term commitments to buy into.
- How do I pay for my listing? You can use Visa, MasterCard or American Express. We take both credit and debit cards.
- Can I upload a standard application form? Yes! See the Upload a File button at the bottom of the form.
- If I have a promo code for a free listing do I still have to fill in my credit card information? Nope. Just enter the promo code and click "apply".