Associate Director, Development
San Diego Museum of Art
- CATEGORY Development
- LOCATION San Diego, CA
- DATE JANUARY 04, 2019
- JOB TYPE Full Time
- COMPENSATION commensurate and comparable
- POSITION LEVEL Senior (5+ yrs exp)
In partnership with the Director of Development and Membership and the Executive Director, the Associate Director of Development will work to develop and execute annual and multi-year strategies related to the cultivation and solicitation of individual donors, with a predominant focus on major donors with capacity to make gifts of $10,000 and higher. The Associate Director will build and maintain relationships with individual and major donors and prospects by designing and building strategies and overseeing management of the individual giving program. This position will research, cultivate, solicit, and steward a portfolio of constituents and raise annual, capital, and endowment funding for the Museum.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the strategy to develop a pipeline of donors working closely with the Director of Development and Membership, the Executive Director, the Deputy Director of Curatorial Affairs and Education, the curatorial and education teams, and the other Associate Directors in Development.
- Develop and maintain a portfolio of at least 80-100 major gift donors and prospects giving $10,000 and up annually. Personally solicit and steward major donors through face-to-face visits, independently and with board volunteers and senior staff.
- Expand the individual and major giving program to identify, cultivate, steward, and acknowledge current and prospective donors. Create funding proposals and stewardship reports (i.e. annual targets for exhibitions, education, technology, unrestricted, etc.).
- Integrate the major and individual giving program with other fundraising goals and strategic initiatives including planned giving, special events and membership, working with the Director of Development and Membership. Cultivate targeted prospects through special events, tours and visits, and other exclusive opportunities; implement strategic follow-up working with Trustees and staff.
- In conjunction with the Associate Director of Membership, research and cultivate donors within the Circle group to identify opportunities to grow contributions from these individuals.
- Oversight of Museum Annual Fund.
- Solicit gifts for special fundraising projects including but not limited to: Art Alive, Art Acquisition, special exhibitions.
- Support executive staff, board members, and other volunteers in all aspects of donor stewardship and solicitation; provide training/coaching as needed.
- Prepare written materials, including relevant case statements, proposals, information bulletins, and correspondences with donors to inform them of the impact of their gift(s), and to keep them up-to-date about Museum happenings and client needs.
- Participate in the design and implementation of major donor events, individual donors and annual fund donors (mass mailing), house parties, tours, travel, and volunteer opportunities to keep current and prospective donors informed and engaged.
- Participate on Board development committees. Participate in setting major giving goals, policies, guidelines, and reporting standards.
- Assist the Director of Development and Membership with input to establish and monitor the major gifts expense budget.
- The successful candidate must have a Bachelor’s degree with five to seven years of progressively responsible fundraising experience and with a successful track record in donor cultivation and major gifts solicitation. This individual must have proven ability to close five and six figure gifts.
- The position requires knowledge of the philanthropic community. Interest in the Visual Arts and/or museum experience preferred.
- Capability to personally build, develop, and retain strong, positive relationships with trustees, major donors, community leaders, volunteers, colleagues, and other stakeholders. Ability to interface effectively with people at all levels of the organization and the ability to successfully work with volunteers.
- Excellent organizational, administrative and project management skills. A decisive, “roll-up-the sleeves,” results-oriented individual who is able to keep seemingly diverse projects moving forward within a consistent strategic framework.
- Must be goal-oriented, self-motivated, and able to demonstrate great individual initiative with an eye toward results.
- A strong work ethic coupled with an enthusiastic and passionate approach to one’s work. Must attend events in the evenings and on weekends as needed.
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills, interpersonal and collaborative abilities, team-building skills, and an entrepreneurial spirit must be evidenced.
- Candidate should carry a polished and professional demeanor with the highest ethical and professional standards.
- Expertise in Altru donor software preferred.
- A valid California Driver’s License and willingness to use it.
- Bilingual in Spanish a plus.
- 20%-40% time spent sitting at the computer.
- Some carrying and lifting up to 25 pounds
- Some traveling by car (must have valid driver’s license and insurance)
- Daily walking required to the Museum which includes stairs.
- Office space may be shared.
- Noise level ranges from quiet to moderately noisy.
If interested, please submit cover letter and resume to: email@example.com, or mail to: The San Diego Museum of Art, Attention: Human Resources, PO Box 122107, San Diego, CA 92112.
The San Diego Museum of Art is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in the hiring of personnel on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender, age, Vietnam Era Veteran or disable veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or any other protected status as provided by law.
- How much does it cost to post a job? Each job listing is $60 for 6 weeks. That's it. If you want to post it for 12-weeks it's just $60 more. No packages to confuse you or long-term commitments to buy into.
- How do I pay for my listing? You can use Visa, MasterCard or American Express. We take both credit and debit cards.
- Can I upload a standard application form? Yes! See the Upload a File button at the bottom of the form.
- If I have a promo code for a free listing do I still have to fill in my credit card information? Nope. Just enter the promo code and click "apply".