Director of Development
Walnut Street Theatre
- CATEGORY Admin
- LOCATION Philadelphia, PA
- DATE FEBRUARY 08, 2018
- JOB TYPE Full Time
- COMPENSATION salary commensurate with experience
- POSITION LEVEL Senior (5+ yrs exp)
Walnut Street Theatre Director of Development
Walnut Street Theatre, America’s oldest theatre and one of the nation’s most financially stable arts organizations with a $16M annual budget, is accepting resumes for the position of Director of Development. This senior management position reports to the President/Producing Artistic Director and is responsible for maintaining and growing a diverse portfolio of donors through the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of new and existing individual and institutional funders to achieve the organizations goals.
Key responsibilities include:
Annual Fund. Develop innovative campaigns to increase funding from individuals, corporations and foundations.
- Individuals/Major Gifts: Coordinate tele-fundraising, direct mail, major gifts, and planned giving solicitations. Plan and implement donor acknowledgement procedures as well as donor appreciation/cultivation events.
- Institutional Grants: Develop strategic vision for a wide array of grant opportunities. Identify and secure Sponsorships for Mainstage, Studio and WST for Kids series productions. Market and coordinate corporate box and premium seat sales programs.
- Fundraising Events: Oversee the implementation of a fall goods & services auction and a spring gala concert and reception. Work with Board and event committees to achieve goals.
Capital Campaign. Working with President/Producing Artistic Director and external consultants, supervise all capital campaign activities and staff including volunteer training and the identification, cultivation and solicitation of donor prospects.
Advocacy. Oversee work of lobbyist and coordinate trustee efforts to garner the support of City, State and Federal officials.
Board Management. Work collaboratively with trustees in committees and individually to strengthen institutional bonds and maximize the time, talents and connections in service to the theatre’s mission. In concert with the Board Chair and President/Producing Artistic Director, develop meeting agendas and reports. Provide assistance to Governance Chair in the management of trustee prospect process, including maintenance of a list of active candidates, updating prospect materials, and scheduling prospect interactions. Conduct new trustee orientations. Maintain records on trustee participation for Governance Committee evaluation purposes.
Relationship-Building. Represent the theatre to stakeholders and community-at-large. Work to engage a large and diverse community in the mission and programs of the theatre.
Annual Budgets. Create and monitor income and expense budgets for development department. Develop program budgets for various initiatives, as needed.
Staff Management. Supervise a team of three full-time employees and one apprentice.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working closely with a Board of Trustees and related committees
- Ability to initiate and build relationships with prospective donors, maintaining the highest degree of poise and professionalism
- Proven organizational skills including the ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously, meet deadlines, and produce high quality results
- Demonstrated results developing cultivation strategies and closing new gifts
- Demonstrated understanding of the best practices in fundraising and current philanthropic trends
- Knowledge of the Philadelphia business and philanthropic community
Cover letter and resume may be submitted to Bernard Havard, President/Producing Artistic Director of Walnut Street Theatre via: email@example.com
- How much does it cost to post a job? Each job listing is $60 for 6 weeks. That's it. If you want to post it for 12-weeks it's just $60 more. No packages to confuse you or long-term commitments to buy into.
- How do I pay for my listing? You can use Visa, MasterCard or American Express. We take both credit and debit cards.
- Can I upload a standard application form? Yes! See the Upload a File button at the bottom of the form.
- If I have a promo code for a free listing do I still have to fill in my credit card information? Nope. Just enter the promo code and click "apply".