Hourly Preschool Teaching Artist
Performing Arts Workshop
- CATEGORY Teaching Artist/Teacher
- LOCATION San Francisco, CA
- DATE AUGUST 24, 2018
- JOB TYPE Part Time
- COMPENSATION $40 - $50 per hour
- POSITION LEVEL Entry (up to 2 yrs exp)
Performing Arts Workshop seeks world dance, hip-hop dance, theater, and music pre-k teaching artists to teach eleven to sixteen session weekly classes at our partner preschool sites in San Francisco. Our teaching artists are professional artists and experienced educators in their field.
As representatives of the Workshop in the classroom and the communities they serve, teaching artists share a commitment to our mission and social justice values. In addition to regular teaching duties, teaching artists receive extensive mentorship and support from our artistic and program management, including training in the Workshop’s teaching methodology, an 8-session internship, and monthly professional development.
Teaching artists can expect to teach 5-15 hours/week, depending on availability and experience, with starting compensation of $40-50 per hour for teaching, professional development, internship and all pre-approved administrative work.
Teaching artists are considered part-time employees—not independent contractors—and receive paid sick time, unemployment insurance, social security contributions, worker’s compensation, and other legally required withholdings.
- Create a culture of learning in the classroom that reflects the Workshop’s values and supports youth in their development as artists;
- Develop process-based, sequential curricula that reflect the Workshop’s pedagogy for each residency;
- Mandatory and punctual attendance of monthly professional development meetings, in addition to one all-day PD;
- Connect students’ work to a broader audience through a culminating performance, publication, or open class demonstration for families and communities;
- Administer student and residency evaluations, collect student information and media release forms;
- Communication with site and Workshop staff in a timely and professional manner.
- Commitment to youth development, building self-efficacy, social justice, and cultural awareness;
- Knowledge of the main elements of composition in your art form and the ability to articulate and teach them to youth;
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal communication skills;
- Ability to work with diverse teaching and site partners in adapting to individual classroom needs and cultures;
- Passion and empathy when teaching high-need children and youth, such as English language-learners, students with special needs, incarcerated youth, or youth enrolled in court mandated schools;
- Ability to articulate and demonstrate critical thinking in the arts;
- Openness to receiving detailed feedback on teaching as it relates to the Workshop’s methodology;
- Availability to teach in at least two sites at a time (at least four residencies in either one full day, two mornings, two afternoons, or some combination thereof);
- Ability to provide own transportation or utilize public transportation to and from partner sites.
- Bilingual ability—Spanish and Mandarin;
- Experience working with special student populations, such as English language-learners and students with learning differences;
- BA and/or MA/MFA in art form or commensurate experience.
How to Apply:
Email resume, cover letter, sample lesson plan, and professional portfolio or work samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only complete applications will be considered, please inquire if you have any questions about the requirements.
Performing Arts Workshop is an equal opportunity employer and seeks workforce diversity with respect to race, ethnicity, culture, gender, age, sexual orientation, and physical abilities.
- How much does it cost to post a job? Each job listing is $60 for 6 weeks. That's it. If you want to post it for 12-weeks it's just $60 more. No packages to confuse you or long-term commitments to buy into.
- How do I pay for my listing? You can use Visa, MasterCard or American Express. We take both credit and debit cards.
- Can I upload a standard application form? Yes! See the Upload a File button at the bottom of the form.
- If I have a promo code for a free listing do I still have to fill in my credit card information? Nope. Just enter the promo code and click "apply".