Conservatory Program Manager
San Diego Youth Symphony and Conservatory
- CATEGORY Education/Program
- LOCATION San Diego, CA
- DATE JUNE 20, 2019
- JOB TYPE Full Time
- COMPENSATION not stated - exempt
- POSITION LEVEL Mid (2-5 yrs exp)
The Conservatory Program Manager is responsible and accountable to the President/CEO and the Deputy Director for the administration and management of SDYS’ Conservatory Programs.
With the Music Director and other artistic faculty, the Conservatory Program Manager is responsible for promoting high standards for all Conservatory Programs. The Conservatory Program Manager collaborates and communicates with the Music Director, conductors, and administrative staff to fulfill these responsibilities:
- Working with artistic leadership, facilitate strategic design, planning, repertoire, ensemble progression, and evaluation of all Conservatory Programs.
- Work with lateral program managers to ensure consistent alignment of curriculum, standards, offerings and evaluation across all programs.
- Collaborate with artistic staff to develop standards-based, comprehensive multi-year plans and music curriculum.
- Evaluate and revise audition requirements and rubrics with Music Director and conductors to accurately reflect program structure.
- With the program team, build a sense of community in the conservatory program that engages parents and families to support student growth.
- Supervise, lead, support, and assess formally and informally direct reports to ensure efficient program operations and effective communications with all students and families; lead conductors’ meetings. Collaborate with Music Director for support, artistic insights and observations related to faculty and programs.
- Facilitate dialogue among conductors regarding supplemental programs such as sponsored lessons and student mentorship.
- Manage and lead the annual registration, audition, and enrollment cycles.
- Ensure all Conservatory program publications and communication with families are accurate and effective.
- Set and manage Conservatory Program budget, including staffing and other budget line items with the Deputy Director.
- Oversee fulfillment of SDYS program and grant commitments to partners and funders.
Liaise with other directors and program managers to ensure efficient internal operations and cross-program collaboration.
- Collaborate with program and administrative staff on timelines and logistics, including rehearsals, concerts, auditions, competitions, outreach, and donor events.
- Collaborate with artistic faculty and program staff on timely, clear communication with students and families.
- Evaluate and coordinate Conservatory Program performance activities and outreach opportunities with the Music Director and community partners when requested.
- Mentor student leaders and students performing in the community.
- Engage with private and school music teachers, university music departments, and other educators in San Diego County.
- Recruit students to Conservatory Programs through teacher, school and partner relationships.
- Function as primary SDYS administrative liaison with the Music Director for Rotary’s International Youth Symphony Committee and other summer program partnerships as developed.
- Advocate for music education in schools and the community.
- Other duties as assigned by the Deputy Director/President and CEO.
- Significant knowledge of and experience with instrumental music required; classical music preferred.
- 3+ years of program management experience preferred.College degree required; music emphasis preferred.
- Ability to work well with families and staff; culturally sensitivity to diverse and underserved families.
- Experience teaching diverse students.
- Keen attention to detail and highly organized.
- Strong communication skills.
- Strong sense of integrity and collaboration.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and adapt to change.
- Comfortable using Microsoft Word and Excel plus Google applications, and ability to quickly learn other programs and applications.
- Typing speed of at least 50 wpm.
- Some database experience preferred.
- Second language skills in Spanish, Mandarin Chinese, Korean, or Japanese are desirable.
- This position requires sitting at a desk or workstation, walking, standing, climbing stairs, hearing, speaking, being able to lift up to 25 lb. and able to drive to locations pertaining to organizational operations.
- In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
- This is a full-time position with work responsibilities on weekends and/or evenings according to the season calendar.
The San Diego Youth Symphony and Conservatory (SDYS)’s mission is to instill excellence in the musical and personal development of students through rigorous and inspiring musical training experiences. SDYS has a history of setting the region’s highest standards for excellence in music education for more than 70 years. We have seen that student adherence to high standards, self-discipline, and teamwork required for musical success provide unparalleled training for future success in any field or educational path. As a result, SDYS is devoted to being a catalyst for community investment in student achievement through music.
- How much does it cost to post a job? Each job listing is $60 for 6 weeks. That's it. If you want to post it for 12-weeks it's just $60 more. No packages to confuse you or long-term commitments to buy into.
- How do I pay for my listing? You can use Visa, MasterCard or American Express. We take both credit and debit cards.
- Can I upload a standard application form? Yes! See the Upload a File button at the bottom of the form.
- If I have a promo code for a free listing do I still have to fill in my credit card information? Nope. Just enter the promo code and click "apply".